Don't allow all the recent news highlighting
America's weight problem to lead you on the road to quick, unsensible
weight-loss techniques. Instead, try these 10 tips for the most
effective, sensible and helpful weight-loss strategies.
1. Watch out for quick fixes. The weight wasn't gained overnight; it won't come off that way.
2. Cut the fats and the calories. Eliminating or reducing fat alone doesn't guarantee significant weight loss.
3. Consult a physician to see exactly what your caloric intake should be based on your shape and medical history.
4. Never say "diet." Instead, make sensible changes in your diet that can be easily adjusted and adhered to.
5. There is no miracle cure. The only proven
medical method for weight loss is by following the weight and exercise
goals prescribed by your personal physician.
6. Be realistic and patient about weight loss. The faster you lose weight, the more likely you are to gain it back.
7. Replenish your personal water supply. Water
provides a great way to cool down, curbs hunger and helps to
efficiently burn calories. Drink six to eight glasses each day.
8. Keep a journal. Record your food and exercise
triumphs. It also is a great way to reflect on those times when you
slipped, making it easier to avoid in the future.
9. You are the means to your success. Take care of yourself. Be healthy in your mind and body.
10. Have a support system.
Source: TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) Club Inc., 4575 South Fifth Street, Milwaukee, WI 53207-0360; (800) 932-8677.